The process it takes for a foreign citizen to travel into the United States has become stringent in the recent years. It is all part of the United States’attempt to increase its homeland security. However, the United States has provided certain measures for US citizens to petition and sponsor foreign citizens into the United States within specific circumstances.

One such circumstance is a US citizen who has met a Filipina in the Philippines and is currently in a relationship with her. This occurrence is common and the next step is to figure out how to petition the Filipina fiancée legally into the United States. More often than not, due to the meticulous process it takes in order to bring the fiancée into the United States, the undertaking can become overwhelming. There are detailed measures that need to be taken in order to achieve the ultimate result of bringing the fiancée into the United States. Moreover, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) along with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) go to great lengths in scrutinizing, analyzing, and reviewing any request to petition any foreigner into the United States.

The process of obtaining a nonimmigrant fiancée visa starts when the US citizen (petitioner) files a K-1 visa petition and all supporting documents with the USCIS office having jurisdiction over the US citizen’s residence. Furthermore, the US citizen or petitioner must submit proof of his US citizenship and evidence that he and his fiancée can legally marry. The petitioner must also swear that each party intends to marry the other within 90 days of the arrival of the fiancée into the United States. In addition, in most fiancé(e) visa cases, the petitioner must document instances where the couple has met within two years immediately preceding the filing of the petition with the USCIS.

The USCIS will adjudicate the fiancée visa petition and if satisfied that the petitioner and fiancée have the legal capacity and intention to marry, it will approve the petition and forward the file to the National Visa Center (NVC) and eventually to the appropriate US embassy where the fiancée resides. At this time, the fiancée will be notified of the additional documents that she needs to submit. Thereafter, the appropriate consular officer will interview the fiancée after she has passed security clearances and obtained the necessary documents. After the interview, if the fiancée has been found to be eligible for a fiancée visa, the consular officer will issue a K-1 visa.

The Filipino Law Group is a global law firm based in Los Angeles and specializes in providing comprehensive immigration legal services. We handle any immigration matter that arises related to the complex world of US immigration law. We provide our clients with hands-on assistance and precision guidance through all the necessary steps in order to unite you with your loved one in the United States.